Need Advice on Smoother Tobacco

Have Any Tips For The Beginners

Moderator: mrnjlw1090

Need Advice on Smoother Tobacco

Postby wsswesty » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Hello,

I've been RYO for about 3 weeks now. I ordered the Powermatic II starter kit with the NCS blend and light Premier filters. My problem is, these cigs are making me cough like crazy. I'm used to smoking Marlboro Lights and about 3 months ago I began to have my cigs rolled at Ciggy Shack. I used the blue premier light tubes and a Kentucky Gold Blend (their brand). My cough totally went away. I thought by rolling my own I could save even more money and get a cig similar to the Ciggy Shack. Anyway, I have several questions for you guys that have been doing this for awhile:

1. Is the NCS Blend additive free? If not, do you have any idea what might be in this blend? Could these additives be causing this coughing?
2. The NCS blend tends to be a little harsh for me. I've tried the premier light king filters, Gambler light kings and Gambler light 100's hoping this would help with the harshness and it hasn't helped.
3. Could someone recommend a nice smooth tobacco and matching tube that would mimic a Marlboro Light? Something that would be less harsh than the NCS blend?

Thanks for all your help!
Scott
wsswesty

Re: Need Advice on Smoother Tobacco

Postby mrnjlw1090 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:40 pm

wsswesty wrote:Hello,

I've been RYO for about 3 weeks now. I ordered the Powermatic II starter kit with the NCS blend and light Premier filters. My problem is, these cigs are making me cough like crazy. I'm used to smoking Marlboro Lights and about 3 months ago I began to have my cigs rolled at Ciggy Shack. I used the blue premier light tubes and a Kentucky Gold Blend (their brand). My cough totally went away. I thought by rolling my own I could save even more money and get a cig similar to the Ciggy Shack. Anyway, I have several questions for you guys that have been doing this for awhile:

1. Is the NCS Blend additive free? If not, do you have any idea what might be in this blend? Could these additives be causing this coughing?
2. The NCS blend tends to be a little harsh for me. I've tried the premier light king filters, Gambler light kings and Gambler light 100's hoping this would help with the harshness and it hasn't helped.
3. Could someone recommend a nice smooth tobacco and matching tube that would mimic a Marlboro Light? Something that would be less harsh than the NCS blend?

Thanks for all your help!
Scott

Welcome Scott!
1. No, the NCS is not additive free. Most tobaccos NEED to have additives or the smoke would be very strong and harsh. Even the tobacco they use at the Ciggy Shack does contain some additives even if they say it does not. I guarantee it.
2. I'd say give 1839 Smooth or Kentucky Select Gold a try--I'm betting that the Kentucky Select is what they use at Ciggy Shack. I have not tried Kentucky Select, but I do smoke 1839; both Full Flavor and Smooth on a regular basis, and I believe that the Smooth should satisfy most light smokers.
3. As for tubes, I would recommend either Golden harvest blue, Zen blue, Windsail Elite, Ramback Elite, or your regular tubes you already use.

Good luck to you, and I hope you'll come back for additional advice!
-Nick

I smoke because I like it!

Find me on You-tube at http://youtube.com/wolfen1057
mrnjlw1090

Postby wsswesty » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:22 am

Thank you Nick....I will try what you recommended.

Scott
wsswesty

Postby rwagner66 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:42 pm

Nick is right. Additives do not cause harshness, they relieve it. Additive-free is a sales gimmick that limits the maker to a few Virginia tobaccos naturally high in sugar. Examples are American Spirit and pre-made Winston. Tobaccos labeled natural are trying to play to the same misconception. They are not additive-free. They are flavored with sugar, cocoa and licorice, but nothing hard to pronounce.
rwagner66

Postby driftinmark » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:41 pm

if you are used to smoking marlboro lights, it is the additives that you taste.......as far as regular tobacco......most of the stuff here has recon or expanded stuff in it...........check out this vid , it will wake you up on american smokes........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBAuM1fLKRk

the best stuff I have found is the kentucky select organic, you will not be dissapointed at all, prolly one of the smoothest I have ever tried from all the stuff your own brands.........Im not a salesman, this stuff is a little more expensive, but is totally worth it.......and it says 100 % organic, no pesticides .........

try a 6 oz bag, you might not go back to what you were smoking before.........a lot is in the tubes too, most i have tried taste like paper, but i like the ramback prestige ones the best..........nice smooth smoke for me........its a full flavored tube , but the tobacco is so light , that it is a good combo

hope this helps
driftinmark

Postby h8uthemost » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:11 am

Out of all the tobaccos I've tried so far the Gambler Mellow/Four Aces Mellow(it appears they're both the same just with different names) has by far been the mildest. And it has a great taste also. I used these with a regular Hot Rod tube. If I use the Mellow tobacco with a light Hot Rod the cigarette is a bit too light for me. I never get a cough or scratchy throat from this combo of tobacco/tubes. And I've been smoking 'light' cigarettes for years and am pretty picky as a lot of brands I try are too strong for me. But the Gambler/4 Aces is pretty much perfect for me and is the brand I've settled on(that is until I finally get around to trying some of the premium brands from online).

So I definitely recommend giving this brand a shot, and pretty much any 20mm filtered tube.
h8uthemost

Return to Help Your Fellow Rollyourowner