Tube filter and brand question

Post any Cigarette Filter Tube reviews, experiences or recommendations here.

Moderator: mrnjlw1090

Tube filter and brand question

Postby h8uthemost » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:26 am

I've been using the Gambler Tube Cut tubes. Now, until I got a table top injector, I was perfectly happy with these tubes. But now, with the table top, the tobacco isn't going all the way to the tip. And it doesn't matter how I pack the table top(I know they all say to start with the sides), the tobacco still doesn't go all the way to the top. No matter how tight I pack the sides of the table top slot.

So...what I noticed is that with these Tube Cut tubes, the filter is pretty tiny. You know the usual cork looking paper near the end of the tube? Well, the filter is only half the size of that cork filter. So as you can imagine the filter is really short. Which with store bought cigarettes, the filter is the entire size of that cork paper. So do you guys think this is what the problem is?

Do other tubes(non Tube Cut) have a longer filter? Because the amount of tobacco that isn't reaching the top of the tub, looks like the amount that's between the filter and the top of the cork paper. So I"m thinking if I had a tube with a regular sized filter, I would have no problems. Since it looks like the tube cut tubes work great with a handheld injector, but not so great with a table top(at least the table top that I have.

A while ago I bought a box of Hot Rod tubes. And what I didn't notice before I bought them is that these have 20mm filters(I didn't even know that regular flavored tubes had different sized filters before I bought these). So, because I was using a handheld injector at the time, these tubes didn't work very well with it. Since the filters were longer, when I pulled the tube out of the handheld there would be a bunch of tobacco hanging out of the end of the tube.

So, after the cigarettes I have made up already are finished I"m going to try a few with these Hot Rod tubes and see if the tobacco will go to the end of the tube. Besides that, I'm thinking of getting a box of the regular Gambler tubes. I'm wondering if these would be better for me since these are probably made for dual purpose tobacco, where the tube cut tubes are made for tube cut tobacco.

Any info or recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.
h8uthemost

Re: Tube filter and brand question

Postby rwagner66 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:25 am

h8uthemost wrote:I've been using the Gambler Tube Cut tubes. Now, until I got a table top injector, I was perfectly happy with these tubes. But now, with the table top, the tobacco isn't going all the way to the tip. And it doesn't matter how I pack the table top(I know they all say to start with the sides), the tobacco still doesn't go all the way to the top. No matter how tight I pack the sides of the table top slot.

Your tabletop machine has an adjustment screw and cam that lets you change the tube release point. You want to make it slightly later so the tubes with 15 mm filters have a chance to fill before the machine releases them.
rwagner66

Postby mrnjlw1090 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:59 pm

It does not matter what tubes you use. They are all made from the same materials. The 'tube cut' is the brand name, it doesn't mean they were made for that tobacco. The Hot Rod tubes are a good option for the table top machines, as are any with a 20mm filter. The Gambler tubes you have been using have 15mm filters. Commercial smokes have either 20 or 22mm filters for king size and 30mm filters for 100's.

rwagner66 wrote:Your tabletop machine has an adjustment screw and cam that lets you change the tube release point. You want to make it slightly later so the tubes with 15 mm filters have a chance to fill before the machine releases them.

He's using the Swift table top machine which, like the Excel can only make King size. There is no adjustment tab.
-Nick

I smoke because I like it!

Find me on You-tube at http://youtube.com/wolfen1057
mrnjlw1090

Postby rwagner66 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:44 pm

mrnjlw1090 wrote:It does not matter what tubes you use. They are all made from the same materials. The 'tube cut' is the brand name, it doesn't mean they were made for that tobacco. The Hot Rod tubes are a good option for the table top machines, as are any with a 20mm filter. The Gambler tubes you have been using have 15mm filters. Commercial smokes have either 20 or 22mm filters for king size and 30mm filters for 100's.

It is interesting to note that a RYO king with a 15 mm filter has the same amount of tobacco as a commercial 100 mm, to wit 70 mm.

Customers think a 100 mm has 18% more tobacco than a king, based on 15 / 85. In fact, it has only 6% more.

mrnjlw1090 wrote:
rwagner66 wrote:Your tabletop machine has an adjustment screw and cam that lets you change the tube release point. You want to make it slightly later so the tubes with 15 mm filters have a chance to fill before the machine releases them.

He's using the Swift table top machine which, like the Excel can only make King size. There is no adjustment tab.

Whoops, sorry for the mistake.
rwagner66

Postby h8uthemost » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks for the info guys. So maybe the Hot Rod tubes will fill to the end then since they're 20mm?

If they do, then I guess I'll just stick with those tubes with the machine that I have. I'm guessing if the Gambler Tube Cut tubes are 15mm, then they're regular tubes are probably also 15mm?

EDIT: Oh yeah, 20mm is definitely what I need for the Swift machine. I just made a quick half a pack with the Hot Rod tubes, and every single one came out perfect. And these Hot Rod tubes aren't bad either, not to mention they're cheaper in price than any of the other tubes that is sold at my local shop. These were under three bucks for a box, where every other brand was about three fifty for a box.

So I guess I'll have to stick with these until I upgrade to an electric(that's if the Powermatic II plays nice with 15mm), since I think these are the only 20mm's that they sell there. Well, it's the only box that says 20mm on it. So I'm guessing that's all they have.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm a happy camper now. It's a much better smoke, and easier draw with these tubes.
h8uthemost

Postby mrnjlw1090 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:02 pm

If you can post what tubes they have, I can tell you how long the filters are for future reference.
-Nick

mrnjlw1090

Postby h8uthemost » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:54 am

Shoot...all I can remember right now is the Hot Rods, Gambler Tube Cut and Regular tubes(both full and light), and Premier(full and light). They have a lot more though.

I'll be out of cigarettes in about two days. So I'm going to go then to stock back up. And while I'm there I'll make sure to jot everything down on my phone to let you know what's there. Actually there's another smoke shop a couple blocks down the road from the one I usually go to, so I'll stop by both and list all that they have. I really would like to find a different brand of 20mm tubes, as the Hot Rod tubes have a tendency to get a small split at the top of the tube sometimes. Actually, this tiny split happens more times than not. So I'd like to find something a bit stronger(although this split isn't really that big of a deal, I could live with it if I couldn't find anything else).

Do brands that have 20mm filters usually say it right on the box, or is it more of a guessing game? It sucks, the cashier has full view of the shop, so I can't exactly open a box and check out a tube to see what type of filter it has. :P

If Hot Rod is the only 20mm filter tube that they carry though then I guess I'll see what Amazon has. I know I saw that they have 5 boxes of the Gambler Regular tubes for something like $13, so hopefully they'll have 20mm tubes with a deal like that. Actually if you could name a few 20mm brands then I could like online for them.

Thanks for the help.
h8uthemost

Postby mrnjlw1090 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:31 pm

There are Windsail Prestige and Elite as well as Ramback Prestige and Elite which all have 20mm filters and you can get them right here on roll your own. Elites are the lights and Prestige are the Full Flavor. If you rip a tube at the tip, that means that there is a little more humidity in the paper and it will happen occasionally.
-Nick

mrnjlw1090

Postby h8uthemost » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:38 pm

mrnjlw1090 wrote:If you rip a tube at the tip, that means that there is a little more humidity in the paper and it will happen occasionally.

Oh really? I just thought it was because the paper was really thin(which is actually a good thing I guess). Thanks for the fact.

And thanks for the tip on Windsails and Rambacks. I remember a post of yours saying that you enjoy the Rambacks a lot. I did a little searching, and I found out that the Vera Cruz brand is also 20mm. Except for the black ones, which are 22mm. So...if the shops by me don't have either of these three brands, I'm going to see if they'll order one of them for me. I remember like ten years ago I had a really nice lighter that was suggested to be used with Calibri butane, and the shop ordered up a few bottles for me. So maybe they'll do the same with tubes.

If not, it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order from here(unless Amazon has one of these three brands).

Thanks for your help, Nick. I'll post back in a day or so with the brands that shops have and see if you know if any of them are 20mm.

EDIT: By the way, with Vera Cruz, is Elegant a light tube and Nocturne and regular? The product page doesn't tell what's what.

Oh yeah, I just remembered that my main shop also carries Zig Zag tubes. These wouldn't happen to be 20mm would they?
h8uthemost

Postby rwagner66 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:24 am

h8uthemost wrote:I just thought it was because the paper was really thin(which is actually a good thing I guess).

You can measure paper thickness by lighting an empty tube and timing how long it takes to burn down to the logo. The thinner the paper, the slower it burns. Most brands take 27-29 seconds. Exceptions are Premier, Rizla and El Rey made by Imperial in Canada, which take 22 seconds.

Trivia -- There was a shortage of cigarette paper at the end of WW II, because European factories, notably Bolloré, had been destroyed. Until new factories were built, cigarettes were made with thin paper intended for bibles and carbon paper. There isn't much difference.
rwagner66

Next

Return to Cigarette Filter Tubes