?? Suggestions on storing rolled cigarettes ???

Post any Tobacco Storage tips, experiences or recommendations here.

Moderator: mrnjlw1090

Postby sterner4 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi, Started rolling our own about 2 months ago and am having trbl perfecting the storage of the ones i have rolled..
Right now i roll a carton at a time using the good stuff menthol gold and using golden harvest full flavor tubes.
I put them in ziplock backs and then in small plastic containers (there is about 4 packs in each container)
I tried the refrigerator they were too moist by the time day 3 rolled around and then went stale quick.
I tried keep them out of the fridge and it seems they lasted a little longer but were dryer ??

Any tips - I would like to be able to make 2 cartons at a time so I only have to make them 1 time a week my hubby and i both smoke so we usually go thru 2 cartons a week.
sterner4

Re: ?? Suggestions on storing rolled cigarettes ???

Postby mrnjlw1090 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Get a large Sterlite food storage container that's airtight. This should keep them fresh for a long time, and NEVER store your smokes in the fridge or freezer. They will go stale very quickly because there are very little to no preservatives in the tobacco.
-Nick

I smoke because I like it!

Find me on You-tube at http://youtube.com/wolfen1057
mrnjlw1090

Postby rnorsen » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:40 pm

If you are in Shopko land check this out Oct. 6-8. 20 piece Sterilite ultra seal food storage set. Airtight/watertight seal. On sale $19.88. Reg price $49.99. Looks like smaller rectangulars. I am going to check them out Thursday.
rnorsen

Postby QueenGumbo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:18 am

I like to make a "bunch" at a time too, as time permits. Have had success storing them 'indefinitely' *(rotate your stock)* in the freezer like this:

(clicky)
Wide-mouth pint canning jars with air-tight plastic lids (canning section of some larger grocery/dept. stores).
I suspect the metal canning-type lids can also be used; I just find the plastic storage lids handier. 8-)
QueenGumbo

Postby rnorsen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:32 am

sterner4 wrote:Hi, Started rolling our own about 2 months ago and am having trbl perfecting the storage of the ones i have rolled..
Right now i roll a carton at a time using the good stuff menthol gold and using golden harvest full flavor tubes.
I put them in ziplock backs and then in small plastic containers (there is about 4 packs in each container)
I tried the refrigerator they were too moist by the time day 3 rolled around and then went stale quick.
I tried keep them out of the fridge and it seems they lasted a little longer but were dryer ??

Any tips - I would like to be able to make 2 cartons at a time so I only have to make them 1 time a week my hubby and i both smoke so we usually go thru 2 cartons a week.

I just opened a cigar box of Golden Harvest Mint (which is one of the drier tobaccos)that I made up 3 months ago. It is not dried out Usually I put the box into a ziploc bag, this one wasn't. I used to put them into empty tube boxes, I then put into large size empty tobacco bags. I have kept them up to 6 months, with no noticable lost of taste. I have tested them out on both premade and MYO smokers. All were surprised that they weren't stale. Sometimes to fill a box up, without opening a bag of menthol, I will use some non menthol tyobacco that is allready open. They will take on the menthol taste.

I buy tight closing empty cigar boxes at my local tobacco shop. The Punch brand boxes come in different sizes and work great. I fill the boxes full, that and being I smoke menthol mostly, probably have to do with them not going stale. I just keep them in a closet away from sun and heater vents. I have found keeping them in my Top plastic packs in a ziploc, they will start to stale after a month.

Any non menthol or test blends, I keep segregated and make up 1-4 days at a time. I have found that several tobaccos and home made blends improve with at least a day of aging after being stuffed.

Anyway, this is what works for me.
rnorsen

Postby marfo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:12 am

My brother and I store ours in doubled newspaper plastic bags.{we kept some cig. packs from before RYO} Seems to work well.Some I keep in a plastis storage container for quick access.
marfo

Postby anz0002 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:33 am

You can keep it in plastic bags. They are just fine for their storage.
anz0002

Postby rnorsen » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:00 pm

anz0002 wrote:You can keep it in plastic bags. They are just fine for their storage.

The press seal bags seem to work better than the slide zip ones.
rnorsen

Postby tbn » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:38 pm

If keeping them in plastic bags and/or plastic containers [almost airtight], why then from shipment to shipment from RYO do they differ in freshness. The last oder I got seemed pretty stale, felt very dry as well. some were in the containers and some in the ziploc type bags. The order before that the tobacco was nice and moist, sure had to leave out for a few minutes before rolling but there is definitely a taste difference.
Guess there is no way to assure freshness upon delivery? Or about 'refreshing?'

Putting a piece of Orange or tangerine rind into the bag really moistens them up and adds a kick to the flavor as well.
tbn

Postby rnorsen » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:33 pm

tbn wrote:If keeping them in plastic bags and/or plastic containers [almost airtight], why then from shipment to shipment from RYO do they differ in freshness. The last oder I got seemed pretty stale, felt very dry as well. some were in the containers and some in the ziploc type bags. The order before that the tobacco was nice and moist, sure had to leave out for a few minutes before rolling but there is definitely a taste difference.
Guess there is no way to assure freshness upon delivery? Or about 'refreshing?'

Putting a piece of Orange or tangerine rind into the bag really moistens them up and adds a kick to the flavor as well.

I consider it due to many variables in the processing and bagging. Unless there is a hole or open seal,I doubt they dry out from being in an unopened bag. Some bag their product on the dry side as a no mold thing. I hardly rehydrate. When I do its is no more than a day before stuffing.
rnorsen

Next

Return to Tobacco Storage Tips